09 December 2010

Divorcee (pericardium)

two years, now,
yesterday
I walked away

I wore my ring for one full year as a reminder
six months more 'cause I forgot
to take it off

it doesn't matter
the skin around that finger remembers
the iron band

Once, when I still wore a purely golden ring I caught it under
a meat slicer, twisted it into my finger until I could see
bright, white, bone;
then it healed
without blemish.

(it doesn't matter, I can still see my children)

The silver ring I wore on a chain around my neck
disappeared one Christmas eve four years ago,
a stainless steel ligature not in its place
but on my finger,
resting against my skin.

(it doesn't matter, 'cause I remember)

I do not wear a ring, now, but
yesterday (I remember)
I saw
it doesn't matter
the skin around that finger 
the space around my heart
remembers
the iron band

2010

No comments:

Post a Comment