19 December 2010

Roots


Home is the place where, if you have to go there, they have to take you in.” – Robert Frost




I.

Once
upon
a
time

My family lived in a house far out in the country
on the banks of a small creek that cut deep through the red clay and glacial leavings

It left a cut bank
shallow caves
mud
stones

I would play there for hours
days
In my mind I go there still, lean back against the cool damp earth




II.

When I was a young man my grandmother died, cancer throughout her body
She loved me
she
touched me

I did not stay to watch her die, but left
for anyplace
someplace unknown, known
only to me

My cheek against the soil, cool damp

The funeral was lovely, I'm told.

My grandfather lived on for twenty-two years without her
and never spoke to me again




III.

He taught me how to pound a nail
saw a board
crack a walnut in my hand

held me against his chest
cool
strong




IV.

I lean my back against the roots around my arm against my shoulder
I can feel the tattered beaten flannel
hard whisky cigarette breath

I push back until I cannot feel the tears
no longer feel the hope
only my hollow chest
beating heart

I would like not to go there anymore ever again
but
who else would I talk to?
where else
can I go?


2010

No comments:

Post a Comment